Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Narrows, Zion NP



I had been through the narrows twice before, but the last time had been about 5 years earlier...so it was time to go again!

I got to the Chamberlain's Ranch trail head at 9:55 and started on my way. I remembered in the past trip with my brother-in-law Jeff, we spent about 15 minutes at the beginning trying to figure out how to get across the river without getting our feet wet, as the first couple of miles of the hike is along the river bank and not in it...Anyway, after all that time trying to figure out how to keep our feet dry, I still managed to make an ill-advised jump and got a foot wet anyway. Needless to say, this time I just went right in and forded the stream.

I came to the cabin at 10:46 after about 3 miles. Soon after this, the trail entered the river and I was on my way. For the next few miles, the canyon walls continued to creep in closer and closer all the while getting higher and higher. At 12:31 I encountered the first stretch of narrows. I also noticed that many new obstacles and mini waterfalls had formed since the last time I went on the hike.

At 1:45 and after about 8 miles I encountered the waterfall, North Fork Falls. This is easily bypassed by a notch on the left side of the trail, which, if you didn't know it was there, would be easy to miss. The falls are about 20 feet high and the force of the water coming down is enough to make it nearly impossible to hike back to the base of the waterfall once down.

I encountered the confluence with Deep Creek at 2:57 after about another mile of hiking. Deep Creek has about as much water flow as North Fork so from this point on, I would be hiking in twice the volume of water, with the canyon walls much more narrow than they had been before - meaning the current would be stronger and the depth of the river, deeper.
Over the next 3 miles, many campsites are found, each numbered from 1 to 12. Also, a smaller stream, Kolob Creek, adds a little more water flow to the river. It was here I camped on my overnight trip with Jeff. It's a perfect place to filter some water!

From here, the hike becomes more difficult. The rocks are more slippery, the water deeper, swimming becomes the only way to make it through certain points (depending on the water level that year) and you're just plain more tired...
I came to the Grotto, a cave like structure carved out over the years by water flow through the canyon, at 4:01, and to Big Springs about an hour later at 5:05. Big Springs marks the 11.5 mile mark and is a pretty place for some pictures. It was here that I first encountered the day hikers coming up from the bottom (Temple of Sinawava). Also, after Big Springs was the only swimming spot I found.

After 2 more miles filled with deep water and slippery rocks, I encountered Orderville Canyon coming in from the east (left). I should say here that I was happy to have brought my hiking pole to use as a depth check for the river. Although it was actually clear this hike and I could see the bottom for much of the hike (the previous 2 hikes it was a muddy brown color with no visibility), there were portions where the water was too deep to see the bottom. So I poked and prodded along with my hiking pole to determine if I'd be swimming.


Not long after, I made it back to Riverside walk and the shuttle stop for the Temple of Sinawava at 8:25 and after 16 miles of hiking!

No comments:

Post a Comment